A restriction is a way to provide guidance to the user when entering data into the columns of a business policy. There are two types of restrictions:
Picklists provide a limited number of choices for a value to enter in a table cell. They are displayed as a single- or multi-select dropdown.
A picklist is typically linked to a picklist field in Salesforce, but it may also have a manually defined set of values.
As an example, here is a picklist for the Industry field on the Lead object.
A lookup restriction checks that a value references an existing record in Salesforce. For example, lookups are used to check that a user name matches an existing user.
A lookup can reference any text or ID field on any Salesforce object.
In some cases, a lookup column will display a lookup icon to select values from among existing records. For instance:
For other objects, the lookup dialog is not supported. However validation is applied for all lookups, and invalid values are highlighted as here:
To add a restriction:
- Navigate to the policy detail page, click Edit, then select the gear icon to open the policy configuration editor
- Select the column to which you want to add the restriction
- Click Add restriction in the Column Properties section
Configure the restriction in the Restriction Detail dialog
This example shows a Lookup restriction
Note: if you have a large number of objects or fields, the Object and Field dropdowns may take a while to populate.
- The other restriction type is Picklist
The following source types are available for picklist restrictions:
- Salesforce field: obtain the valid values from a Picklist field in Salesforce
- Custom values: explicitly specify the valid values
- Table lookup: determine valid values based on the values shown in a column of another table
- Special: pre-defined lists of values, such a Date periods